Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
sunonun offered:
I've heard that, when there are two incomes MFJ, the best way to have taxes withheld is to have only the larger income use the employer withholding. I've heard that this is much more accurate. I hope others can clarify this for us.

InvestorGrrl replies with some lament:
I've tried this. How I ended up being inaccurate is filling out W-4 forms at jobs where I don't count on being laid off two weeks after being hired and end up being laid off two weeks after being hired. I've had three interruptions in my 2001 work history -- for two of the three positions I've held in 2001, I've filled in a W-4 form where I had the larger income and asked for additional withholding. Unfortunately, for two of the three positions I've held this year, I did not have the opportunity to claim a dependent.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.