Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I need to ask this question, as I never quite got a clear answer to it when I asked various people. My husband and I file a joint tax return. My mother wishes to divorce my father (her only income is her Social Security pension - about $150 per month). Upon a divorce, she does not want any money from my father. So, my question is: is there a way, in this divorce situation, for me to financially support my mother and be able to deduct that from our taxes? I pay a fortune in taxes and have been agonizing for a long time over how I could help my mother become financially independent of my father, through making more of my tax dollars go toward help for HER, rather than toward another installment of Tom Brokaw's "Fleecing of America". What options do I have? Is this goal so unattainable for me?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.