Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Surely they can't force a child to claim they are dependent when they are not getting help from their parents. If a person has moved out and has been living on their own, even if they are only 20, they are adults and may no longer have a relationship with their parents.

There has a way to show that someone is independent at any age.

I got married and moved out of my parents' house at 19. When I went back to school the next fall, I still had to include a copy of my dad's tax return with the FAFSA form, even though I was no longer a dependent on it. The university claimed that they didn't take it into consideration when determining my financial aid (and I did get decent financial aid, although I could have used more, of course), but my parents information and tax return were still required for the FAFSA, upon which the financial aid was based. I'm not sure what would have happened if my dad had refused to allow me to attach a copy of his tax return to it. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten the aid due to an incomplete application. (I think that was the implication from the university's finanical aid office.)

- Karen
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.