No. of Recommendations: 15
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/14518/sweden-is-at-war

In 2017, a Swedish police report, "Utsatta områden 2017" ("Vulnerable Areas 2017") showed that there are 61 such areas -- also known as no-go zones -- in Sweden. They encompass 200 criminal networks, consisting of an estimated 5,000 criminals. Most of the inhabitants are non-Western immigrants and their descendants.

In March, the Swedish National Forensic Centre estimated that since 2012, the number of shootings classified as murder or attempted murder had increased by almost 100 percent.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"In 2017, a Swedish police report, "Utsatta områden 2017" ("Vulnerable Areas 2017") showed that there are 61 such areas -- also known as no-go zones -- in Sweden."

LOL

It looks like your poor information sources are taking advantage of your ignorance of Sweden. Perhaps you should actually visit Sweden someday. You might learn something and stop looking so foolish.
No. of Recommendations: 13
Gang-related gun murders, now mainly a phenomenon among men with immigrant backgrounds in the country’s parallel societies, increased from 4 per year in the early 1990s to around 40 last year. Because of this, Sweden has gone from being a low-crime country to having homicide rates significantly above the Western European average. Social unrest, with car torchings, attacks on first responders and even riots, is a recurring phenomenon….

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/sweden-crime-rates-imm...

BruceM
"Gang-related gun murders, now mainly a phenomenon among men with immigrant backgrounds in the country’s parallel societies, increased from 4 per year in the early 1990s to around 40 last year. Because of this, Sweden has gone from being a low-crime country to having homicide rates significantly above the Western European average."

More LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intention...

Sweden has a rate of 1.08 homicides per 100,000 people.

Here are the homicide rates for every state in the U.S.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_homicid...

The only state lower is New Hampshire (and that is only because the rate is calculated only to one digit past the decimal). So basically Sweden is safer from homicides than every single state in the U.S. other than New Hampshire. That is a simple fact.

BTW, it should be noted that there is a fairly strong correlation between high homicide rates in the U.S. and conservatism. States that vote conservative have a higher rate of homicide than states that vote liberal.
No. of Recommendations: 20
BTW, it should be noted that there is a fairly strong correlation between high homicide rates in the U.S. and conservatism. States that vote conservative have a higher rate of homicide than states that vote liberal.

Hmmmm. That's interesting. I wonder if the mayors of our largest cities, to include Chicago, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Washington DC, NYC, E. St. Louis, Oakland, Detroit and Philadelphia...to name a few...know this? They're all run by Democrats, and I'll be they'd be delighted to hear from you that they don't really have a homicide/violent crime problem when compared to all those nasty RED cities, like Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Omaha, Ft. Worth and Jacksonville, don't ya think?

BruceM
"Hmmmm. That's interesting. I wonder if the mayors of our largest cities, to include Chicago, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Washington DC, NYC, E. St. Louis, Oakland, Detroit and Philadelphia...to name a few...know this? They're all run by Democrats, and I'll be they'd be delighted to hear from you that they don't really have a homicide/violent crime problem when compared to all those nasty RED cities, like Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Omaha, Ft. Worth and Jacksonville, don't ya think?"

LOL!!!!!!!!

It looks like you do not understand what the word "rate" means...…….

Of course larger cities have higher actual numbers because they have more population. When adjusted for population however, conservative states generally have higher rates of homicide than liberal ones.

That is a simple fact. That you don't like that fact and that it goes against your pre-existing worldview does not make that fact change. It is always interesting to see how a person reacts when faced with factual information that goes against their worldview. An intelligent person adjusts their worldview. A person looking for comfort by seeking to have their already existing worldview reinforced starts to spin, distract, willfully ignore or act insulted.

What are you going to do?
No. of Recommendations: 16
It looks like you do not understand what the word "rate" means...…

Does it matter? A murder is a murder, whatever the rate is, and liberal cities have far more of them than do conservative cities, if you bothered to look instead of just making things up and spewing them out as fact.

But if homicide rates are what you're after, I've looked it up for you...(per 100,000) for the top and bottom 5 cities with a population of at least 250,000 for 2018, for which data are available.

Top 5

St. Louis MO: 61.8
Baltimore MD: 50.8
Birmingham AL: 40.1
Detroit MI: 38.3
Kansas city MO: 32.5

All of these cities have liberal Democrat leadership. All of them, as do the next 5 of the top homicide cities.

Bottom 5

Fremont CA: 1.3
Lincoln NE: 1.7
San Jose: 2.3
Scottsdale AZ: 2.4
San Diego: 2.9

Only one of these cities has a Democrat mayor. The rest are either Republican or non-partisan

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/highest-murder-rates-us-cit...

If an idiot were to tell you the same story every day for a year, you would end by believing it.

............................................................................... Horace Mann

BruceM
Does it matter? A murder is a murder, whatever the rate is,

When it happens to someone close to you it is horrible.

When it happens to others who are just names in a news article, it is just a statistic.
"Does it matter?"

Yes. I would explain why, but it is clear it is beyond your ability to comprehend.

" A murder is a murder, whatever the rate is, and liberal cities have far more of them than do conservative cities"

Yes. They also have more people. Think of it this way, which states have more people NOT being murdered?

"if you bothered to look instead of just making things up and spewing them out as fact."

LOL!!!!!! Do you enjoy being laughed at?

I didn't make anything up. I quoted you well documented facts.

"I've looked it up for you...(per 100,000) for the top and bottom 5 cities with a population of at least 250,000 for 2018, for which data are available."

Why are you only looking at cities? That is called cherry picking. You are basically restricting yourself to the most liberal populations in any state. Why are you unwilling to look at the whole population? Is it because it doesn't match your preconceived worldview so you now must willfully ignore it? Does it hurt when you do that?

But to bring it back on topic. You will note that every city on your list has a homicide rate higher than Sweden. 90% of the list has a rate at least twice as high. Which just goes to show the idiocy of the OP being scared of Sweden.

"If an idiot were to tell you the same story every day for a year, you would end by believing it.

............................................................................... Horace Mann"

Conservative nutters can be so ironic sometimes. Best part is they don't even realize that they are doing it. For so long, you have been fed stories about no-go zones in Sweden and how it is such a dangerous place because of the brown immigrants. You end up believing this despite it being ridiculously false.
Oh, I forgot. In an earlier post in this thread I asked you this question:

"Of course larger cities have higher actual numbers because they have more population. When adjusted for population however, conservative states generally have higher rates of homicide than liberal ones.

That is a simple fact. That you don't like that fact and that it goes against your pre-existing worldview does not make that fact change. It is always interesting to see how a person reacts when faced with factual information that goes against their worldview. An intelligent person adjusts their worldview. A person looking for comfort by seeking to have their already existing worldview reinforced starts to spin, distract, willfully ignore or act insulted.

What are you going to do?"

When presented with information that runs counter to your worldview, you have made it clear what you are going to do. You are going to spin, distract and willfully ignore that which you find inconvenient.

You are seeking comfort, not factual information. Sad way to live, but whatever floats your boat.
No. of Recommendations: 11
It looks like you do not understand what the word "rate" means...…….

Of course larger cities have higher actual numbers because they have more population. When adjusted for population however, conservative states generally have higher rates of homicide than liberal ones.

Actually, when dealing with "rate", the higher the population, the more likely it becomes that the rate will be lower. If you have ten people and one is murdered, the murder rate is 10%. However, if you have one hundred people and one is murdered, the murder rate is now 1%. With all things being equal other than population, the rate should go down in a larger city, not up.

As so many have said, the issue is that not all things are equal, and the major one that is not equal is the governing body.

Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 8

Gee... what universe is this person from?

Here's some actual data on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_homicid...
No. of Recommendations: 3
Gee... what universe is this person from?

Not sure about the universe, but I know what state they are from.........denial.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Actually, when dealing with "rate", the higher the population, the more likely it becomes that the rate will be lower. If you have ten people and one is murdered, the murder rate is 10%. However, if you have one hundred people and one is murdered, the murder rate is now 1%."

Looks like we have another person who doesn't understand what the word "rate" means and why you would use it versus counting numbers.

"As so many have said, the issue is that not all things are equal, and the major one that is not equal is the governing body."

Yes. As clearly documented up thread, there is a high correlation between states that generally vote conservative and higher homicide rates. Year after year, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, and Mississippi are generally the most dangerous states when it comes to homicide rates.
"Gee... what universe is this person from?"

The one where people know how to read data.

"Here's some actual data on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_homicid...

Yes. Go to that link. Sort by homicide rate. Year after year, the states with the highest homicide rates are southern conservative states. Louisiana, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, etc/
"Not sure about the universe, but I know what state they are from.........denial."

Is that projection? Or given the data which has been presented. do you agree that conservative states generally have higher homicide rates than liberal ones?
No. of Recommendations: 18
Looks like we have another person who doesn't understand what the word "rate" means and why you would use it versus counting numbers.

You are correct in that we have a person that does not understand the word rate, and it is you. I deal with rates every single day. And just for info, you do not adjust a rate for population as it IS the adjustment for population.

Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 1
"You are correct in that we have a person that does not understand the word rate, and it is you"

OK. LOL. That isn't quite the stupidest thing you have ever said, but it is close.

Entertain me, how do I not understand rates? Please. This ought to be good.

"I deal with rates every single day."

Ok. Then perhaps you might want to explain to BruceCM why you cannot compare total number of murders in city/state A to total number of murders in city/state B...…… He seems confused about it.

"And just for info, you do not adjust a rate for population as it IS the adjustment for population."

No duh.

For your information, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. For your information water is wet. For your information, Trump is a corrupt crook.

Anything else Captain Obvious?
No. of Recommendations: 17
Ok. Then perhaps you might want to explain to BruceCM why you cannot compare total number of murders in city/state A to total number of murders in city/state B...…… He seems confused about it.

Ooooookay......

In 2017 an argument and fight at a bar in Scammon Bay, AZ, population 500, resulted in exchange of fists, chairs and knives that killed two, the only homicides for the year. Their homicide RATE for the year, per 100,000 is 400. For the same year, USA Today reports there were 650 homicides in Chicago, for a Homicide RATE of 24.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/19/homicides-tol...

Therefore, should I conclude that Scammon Bay, AZ is 16.7 TIMES as dangerous...or 16.7 TIMES as violent...16.7 times as deadly, or perhaps 16.7 TIMES as unsafe as Chicago??

The only time the RATE is meaningful is when the correlative variables are equal or approximately equal, such as population density, median age and community median socioeconomic status, to name a few. This is why nominal homicide (or other crime metric) values can have more meaning when speaking of population centers than RATES. IOW, to assume that because a population is larger it will have correspondingly more Homicides is silly.

Ok, enough of this. I can only condescend to a liberal for so long before depression sets in.....

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 6
Ok, enough of this. I can only condescend to a liberal for so long before depression sets in.....

That is why trolls troll. To them, that is success.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"The only time the RATE is meaningful is when the correlative variables are equal or approximately equal, such as population density, median age and community median socioeconomic status, to name a few."

Where else can one read such thoroughly erudite and entertaining enlightenment? Have a rec!

RayB
No. of Recommendations: 4
"In 2017, a Swedish police report, "Utsatta områden 2017" ("Vulnerable Areas 2017") showed that there are 61 such areas -- also known as no-go zones -- in Sweden."

LOL
It looks like your poor information sources are taking advantage of your ignorance of Sweden. Perhaps you should actually visit Sweden someday. You might learn something and stop looking so foolish.

Then it should be easy for you to refute with facts and information rather than "Your poor information disagrees with what I want to believe so you must be ignorant and foolish."

Eagerly awaiting your well-reasoned and well-supported counter argument in lieu of "You guys are ignorant and foolish."
No. of Recommendations: 5
"Eagerly awaiting your well-reasoned and well-supported counter argument in lieu of "You guys are ignorant and foolish."

Holding your breath until that happens can be hazardous to your health. I mean, look who you're talking to.

RayB