Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
The bar be que here sure is good. Some soak their ribs in Dr. Pepper beforehand.

Where else do you get to see large billboard signs saying "Report Illegal Dog Fighting,"....the proprietor of my favorite barbeque place did time for just such an offense.

Saw what claims to be the oldest ball park in the country...Willie Mays played there with the old Black Barons. And the 'Bama fans are totally fanatic about their football team....Roll Tide...Its just that all the people I'm working with are Auburn graduates.

Scars from the tornadoes are still very visible in town. Some of it because of changes in zoning law before the tornado, and the owners of destoyed buildings lost their "grandfather" status.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
well being a dog lover i wouldn't eat that guys bbq, but will give you credit that your town has a good mix of things. :)

you buying anything btw?

LD
Just lots of tic and chigger repellent, and snake chaps.

And was buying gallons of gatorade, last month's heat was vicious.

I had already developed a strong liking for that guy's barbeque, and only found out later about his past dog fighting when asking why he didn't serve beer. I"d rather he did armed robbery or sold crack than staged dog fights. But, I do love his ribs and wings...sort of a sweet/sour taste to them.

I was very surprised to find some great micro-brew drafts in Birmingham. Just can't find it bottled anywheres on the shelved...something about only being able to sell beer with lower alcohol contents.
If you've never read Calvin Trillin's American Fried, you'll find a food-lover and writer after your own heart.

Best advice I ever read from a restaurant/travel writer is from that book: When traveling never ask where should I eat, ask where do you eat.

Sadly most of the kind of greasy spoons with local characters, only some of whom have criminal pasts (but give me a poacher or even dogfighter over a developer con artist any day)are going. When I moved to Michigan 30 years ago, there was a book with all the great places to eat around the state (great in the Trillin sense). Helped us find some great spots in the boonies. A few are still around, but they've all changed hands or otherwise gone downhill. The locals in Sault Ste. Marie won't eat at The Antlers anymore—famous for having antlers, stuffed moose, and assorted other stuff hanging everywhere (a typical UP dive ten-fold). I've got a few new spots, and there are still some in the bigger cities, but the pickings, and worse yet the pickled tomatoes, are slim.
Ahhh, finally, I've been waiting for this to happen, and probably would have been dissapointed if it hadn't. And I honostly didn't do anything to trigger it.

Sitting and conversing at a restaurant counter, got called a "Gd-damned Yankee carpet bagger" for working in that area while so many are still out of work because their places of employment were destroyed.

I just smiled and ate my fried green tomatoes and wings.