No. of Recommendations: 8
sydsydsyd: They're taking them down as fast as we put them up. Note that posts 84516, 84518, and 84519 have already disappeared. This included galeno's helpful prescription, which I consider myself privileged to have read.

My comment on galeno's post was pulled for 'incivility'. First, I want to apologize to galeno if he took offense at my 'rude or discourteous' post. Saying, "You doctors should stick to your drugs and leave bullets to soldiers like me" was rude and demonstrated a lack of courtesy to galeno on my part.

Anyway, I will try to cover the important points I was trying to make in a non-offensive way here. Most folks think they know a lot about guns from watching movies or TV, but things are a lot different in the real world.

Note: This advice assumes that you want to deliver the round with a handgun. If you prefer a shotgun (which is probably superior for home defense, but not for close quarters combat), then there are many options there, too. A rifle is not well suited for close quarters work.

(1) A .22 caliber bullet fired from a handgun is not likely to cause death even when fired at very close range into the head. The success rate for this round is probably a lot less than 90% even at very close range. (Note that we are not talking about high-powered rifles here!) Folks have reported into the emergency room with a bad headache only to learn that they had a small caliber bullet lodged in their head.

(2) It is not just the size (caliber) of the bullet but the efficacy of the round. A jacketed hollow point (JHP) bullet which expands on contact is much more effective than a lead or full metal jacket (FMJ, aka military ball) bullet which may punch right through the target. In either case, the round must have sufficient velocity to penetrate the target. Obviously, how well the round penetrates has a lot to do with where it hits.

(3) There are several options when considering a handgun round, but most personal defense experts recommend at least a 9mm (aka 9x19 or 9mm Lugar). This is one of the most popular rounds in the world and thus is very inexpensive. It has light recoil, good accuracy and there are a number of effective bullets in this caliber.

(4) I would not recommend anything less than a .40 caliber S&W for personal defense unless you are very sensitive to recoil (then go with the 9mm). My rule of thumb is that you should be comfortable with the capabilities of the round and the performance of the gun.

(5) One of the newer rounds, the .357 SIG (essentially a 9mm bullet with a .40 S&W 'necked down' case) has a high velocity and lots of power. It is very popular right now and has a dedicated core of supporters. Select a good JHP and be mindful of potential over penetration.

(6) Another option is the 10mm (essentially a .40 S&W bullet with a bigger case--it predates the .40 S&W and .357 SIG) which is probably more than adequate for human sized animals and sufficient for medium sized game at close ranges. This round will make a big splash so avoid it if you do not want to leave a big mess behind. This is a round for the macho men out there.

(7) The venerable .45 ACP is probably the gold standard. It is big and slow, but penetrates adequately and makes a big hole.

Finally, remember the five basic safety rules (see http://www.civilshield.com/bfsc2.jsp):

1. TREAT ALL GUNS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED
2. KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN THE SAFEST POSSIBLE DIRECTION
3. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT
4. KNOW YOUR TARGET AND ITS SURROUNDINGS
5. STORE YOUR GUN AND AMMUNITION SAFELY AND SECURELY WHEN NOT IN USE

Regards,
Prometheuss
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.