Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Sykesix WritesThat might not be true though, you can actually lose some of the principle in a bond fund, because the share price can drop if interest rates rise.

Maybe not you in particular, but someone I'm sure needs to sell some of their bonds/bond funds occasionally to rebalance or take withdrawls. Just something to take into consideration.

For someone who is doing a permanent fixed income portfolio, it's the same thing. The bond fund reinvests called and matured bonds for you while the individual investor has to do it for himself. As long as the individual investor actually does this, the comparison is the same.

EXAMPLE:

A. I invest $100,000 in the Vanguard Total Bond Market fund today. The duration might be 7 years. Interest rates rise over 5 years and at the end of 5 years my fund might be worth $90,000. I received coupon payments equal to example B so I am ignoring them for this example.

B. You invest $100,000 in a portfolio of bonds with a duration of 7 years. As some of those bonds mature, you reinvest so that the duration stays the same...7 years. Your coupon interest payments received is the same as example A so I am ignoring them for this example. At the end of 7 years, your individual bonds are only worth $90,000.

I think you are confusing the concept of a fixed maturity date (5 years) with the concept of a permanent fixed income portfolio.

Daryll40

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.