No. of Recommendations: 0
I've said all along we should be supporting Assad.

Syria is undeniably authoritarian, but it is a complex society with many sects, that are protected much better under the Arab nationalist Bashar al-Assad government than they would be under a Salafi/Muslim Brotherhood Islamic fascist potential successor state - a state like that of Mohamed Morsi's Egypt (where virtually all of the Coptic Christians have resigned from his ranks).

I have great fear for the Alawites, the Druze and the Christians of Syria: the Melkites, Syriacs, Maronites, Chaldeans and other groups, should these Salafi and Wahhabi killers, backed by retrograde American-allied governments, gain power. Laurent Fabus, the French Foreign Minister, has said, "We cannot let [Syria] degenerate into a conflict of militias." Gerard Araud, the French Permanent Representative to the UN, has stated that "We are creating a Somalia in the heart of the Middle East."

The best answer is to urge Saudi Arabia and Qatar to stop their destabilization. A non-violent political solution that can assure that Sunni Islamic fundamentalists do not come to power is the only path. The Syriacs/Arameans - who speak Aramaic the language that Jesus Christ spoke - want a dialogue among all of the groups with no preconditions; they want a ceasefire; they want the stopping of the importation of all foreign weapons; they want an abeyance of the economic sanctions; and they want an ending to the recruitment of foreign fighters into their land.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MID-01-080313.html
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have said all along that Assad is toast ... supporting him is would be a stupid policy. Assad is not and has never been our friend. He never will be no matter how much support we gave him.
I can only suggest you take a close look at your new friends.
I have no new friends in Syria, nor do I have any old friends in Syria. They are just acquaintances.

When this is over we may still have no new friends in Syria but the odds are that neither will the Iranians! I think Syria was the last government that the Iranians could consider an ally..

It looks like over the last 2 years we have removed the last Iranian ally and the last North Korean ally. (China) Sorry for the deaths in Syria but I do not know that anything we would have done would have done anything but increased the death toll!