No. of Recommendations: 0
t:

Ah yes... W2SZ... Used to work them from CT and from here on 2 and 6.

CQWW c.w. DX test this weekend. I won't do much but always enjoy a few rat-a-tat swaps with DX. Of course, the exchange is just 59905 (zone) instead of 599VT (my state being coveted as a multiplier, of course!) as in the ARRL DX Test in the spring.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
"https://wblm.com/frigid-air-mass-sends-temps-plummeting-to-6......

62 below zero at the top of Mt Washington....

t "

Interesting that something as simple as temperature measurement can have
such a wide variation depending on so many variables other than air CO2
content.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Would be interesting getting to and from an outdoor hot tub there, hmmm?

(!)

Vermonter (No -- not me!
" Would be interesting getting to and from an outdoor hot tub there, hmmm?"

Slick.
No. of Recommendations: 2
<< 62 below at Mt Washington VT>>

I used to post weather forecast for the 12,000 foot level of Mt Rainier occasionally. It sometimes had fun items like forecast for four feet of new snow the next day, hundred MPH winds and -60 degree temperatures or whatever.

And that was at the 12,000 foot level. Mt Rainier is 14,410 feet.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find those forecasts lately.

That mountain is tell enough to stick up into some pretty extreme weather pretty often in the winter.

Then again, I'd like to see similar weather forecasts for Mt McKinley (Denali) which is far higher and far more northerly (central Alaska). That would REALLY be extreme, I'll bet!

Seattle Pioneer
SP:"Then again, I'd like to see similar weather forecasts for Mt McKinley (Denali) which is far higher and far more northerly (central Alaska). That would REALLY be extreme, I'll bet!"

True dat....

There are people at the top of Mt Washington at the observatory there - keeping somewhat warm inside as the temps drop to way below zero and winds can kick up to 231 mph.....

6300 ft elevation.

Been there in the summer time! there's a cog railway up the mountain (like Pike's Peak in CO)....and a tollroad to the top you can drive. In the summer time......you need a snow cat for the winter months.

t.
There's a TV transmitter on top of Mt Greylock (3500 ft) - the highest point in MA.....and in the winter, crews of 2 people spend 2 weeks living up there and rotate shifts. they have a snow cat to get them up and down when the road is snowed in - usually 3-4 months a year.....or more.....

the super contest ham station W2SZ operates from there for the June and September VHF contests.....I used to be a regular when I lived back east going there for those contests.....everything is hauled up the mountain - towers, antennas, coax, small trailers for operating in.......and then back down the mountain after the contest

t.
t:

Ah yes... W2SZ... Used to work them from CT and from here on 2 and 6.

CQWW c.w. DX test this weekend. I won't do much but always enjoy a few rat-a-tat swaps with DX. Of course, the exchange is just 59905 (zone) instead of 599VT (my state being coveted as a multiplier, of course!) as in the ARRL DX Test in the spring.

Vermonter
I'm really surprised the board's token Vermonter did not comment on the title, but Mount Washington is in New Hampshire, not Vermont.

And yes, it is noted as having the worst weather in the country.

Kathleen