No. of Recommendations: 8
t-rat:

What I think is behind your statement is the belief that people like to think of themselves as principled, but that when push comes to shove, people often discard their principles if the payoff is great enough. I have the same belief. What I think this means, though, is either that people are not honest with themselves about what they really want, or that they have misidentified what they really want because they just never faced a situation in which 2 or more principles they hold come into conflict. But the self-deception or lack of sophistication of others isn't an argument for their (or your) having no principles. It's an indication of how tough it can be for people to be honest with themselves about, or do the hard work to figure out, what their principles really are.

What I've read of your writing tells me that you have few loyalties, but that those you do have are unshakable. So it sounds to me like you've got some principles lurking in the depths somewhere. Perhaps you just don't feel that it's worth the time and energy it would take to try and figure out what your principles are. But I've discovered that self-knowledge is the best knowledge one can have. I've also discovered that in order to be a successful trader (which I'm a long way from becoming, but which, thanks to you, I'm getting closer to), one has to have a good deal of self-knowledge, albeit of a limited sort, in order to assess and control emotional reactions that can frustrate a well-thought out trading strategy. So I don't buy that you're not one to look inside yourself. It would be beyond presumption for me to even pretend to try and understand you. But are you pretending not to understand yourself?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.