Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
i have a rooftop deck in nyc that is unfurnished. recently i passed on the street a alluminum base of a circular table that i took home with me. it seems like all it would take is a 48" diameter top bolted to the base in four spots to become a perfect outdoor dining table. i was thinking that a finished plywood circle would do the trick. the top need to be heavy so the whole thing doesn't blow away, but i was also thinking of using a drill to put lots of little holes, perhaps in a design, to let the wind go through it easily. problem is that big circles are hard to cut out, any idea if your standard hardware/wood store would do it for me? i know they cut wood to size (charging per cut)but those are usually straight. any ideas?
Print the post Back To Top
problem is that big circles are hard to cut out. any ideas?

Personally, I'd use this as an excuse to buy a RotoZip with the circle cutter attachment. Probably ~$75.

-SSB
No. of Recommendations: 5
Check the classifieds for "free" ads giving away tables? Maybe you could "repurpose" just the table top from an unwanted/ugly table to your table? A little paint would go a long way to spiff it up.

Put a "wanted" ad in one of the local papers?

Keep an eye out curbside for discarded tables?

Any reason why you couldn't put a square or rectangular top? The mounting hardware will be hidden underneath. You probably won't be able to tell it was originally round.

Depending on the mounting surface, could you "repurpose" some old tongue & groove hardwood flooring? I've seen that used quite nicely as a tabletop.

Are there any salvage stores/urban recyclers near you?

Old tabletops from hotel equipment suppliers? You know, the big rounds that they use when they do banquet setups. There are also liquidators of hotel supplies that might carry that sort of thing.

Any restaurants or stores going out of business nearby? Maybe something from their fixtures/displays would work?

How much in the city are you? Any yard sales nearby? If you don't see what you want for sale, ask if they might have it anyway. I've gotten stuff from sellers that they hadn't thought to put out for sale but were happy to get rid of whey they found out they had a buyer. Some things include a 1940's multi folded-leaf cherry sofa table for $10, a 5' x 7' mirror for $20, a Braun immersion mixer for $5, a golf cart for our tenant for $3 & a 5' x 36" whirlpool bathtub that retailed for over $1500 for just $50. Well, that was at Home Depot, not a yard sale. But you get the point.

Can you wait a week or two? Put the word out with friends, family & neighbors for what you want. Things have a way of turning up serendipiously sometimes.

If you have a choice of routes when driving about, avoid the highways & take the local streets. Not only is the drive more relaxing sometimes, now is a great time to stumble across spring cleaning curbside finds. Early Sunday & Monday mornings are the best for yard sale leftovers.

Go dumpster diving behind a furniture store? <lol> Heck, ask at any furniture or retail store you happen to visit if they have any broken, damaged or discontinued tables they want to get rid of. That's how I got my hands on the hot tub from Home Depot. That's a project for this summer. I'm waiting for Whirlpool to mail me the installation instructions since it didn't come with it.

Enough ideas for you? ;)

Laura

Oh, I forgot to say to check www.craigslist.com also. They have NYC area listings. Check the Free/Barter section. Here's one listing, for example, with a 4 1/2' x 6 1/2' dining table that seats 6-8ppl:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/nyc/bar/10201193.html

Laura
No. of Recommendations: 1
Buy 1 4x8 x 3/4 inch peice of plywood. Have the store cut it in half. Stack the two halves on top of each other and glue them together (you can screw them from the bottom too.

Now you have a 1-1/2 inch thick table top which will not blow away.
great post's guys, thanks!

jez
No. of Recommendations: 1
Do make sure it is exterior grade plywood. Other than that, I agree, that last was a great, simple idea.