Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
If there had been a college major in tacos, I'd have shot for a PhD.

This documentary series from Netflix, Taco Chronicles should qualify as a college course.

1. Tacos al pastor: spiced pork, pineapple, onion, coriander, lime, and salsa.

2. Tacos de carnitas: pork confit, onion, coriander, lime, and salsa.

3. Tacos de canasta: tacos made using potato, beans, chicharrón, and mole verde fillings.

4. Tacos de asada: steak tacos.

5. Tacos de barbacoa: sheep or goat slow-cooked in a hole dug in the ground covered with maguey leaves.

6. Tacos de guisado: stew tacos.

Each episode analyzes each taco variety, its origin, and history, and tells you where to get some delicious tacos.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Soft or hard?

I prefer the hard ones, even if the shell sometimes shatters when you bite it. Though I have had some that were assembled and then put in the fryer so everything is cooked, but the shell doesn't really get brittle. Those were gooooooood.

A local place features some really unique tacos, and they are soft. I like them anyway. :-)
https://www.ghettyotaco.com/
That misses some of the best tacos I have had in seemingly authentic Mexican restaurants:
sweetbread
brisket
tripe

c
Hard tacos are not authentic Mexican.

Wiki blames crispy tacos on Taco Bell.

In all my years I've never had anything but soft tacos in Mexico... and I've had a lot of tacos in Mex.

https://www.thekitchn.com/100-american-how-the-crispy-ta-154...
That misses some of the best tacos I have had in seemingly authentic Mexican restaurants:

We have scads of real Mexican taquerias in Orange County and San Diego county. Not authentic... real.

Like El Campeon (they do offer some mex-amer items too) ...
https://www.facebook.com/ElCampeonInc/photos/a.1933277373723...

As in cesos/brains, lengua/tongue, buche/throuat/stomach (which i prefer to tripe; less chewy), cabeza,

As hollow legged young surfers, we'd devour stupid numbers of fresh fried fish soft tacos at the Ensenada fish market stalls. .25 a taco.

We'd order a kilo of 'carnitas con todos' (fresh handmade tortillas and bowls of onion, cilantro, fresh salsas) at Flor de Michoacan and gorge ourselves silly.

It's taco time!
How could I not mention El Coyotito.

Buckets of beer, great molcagete, ranchero on the jukebox.

http://elcoyotitomexicanrestaurant.com/guest-favoriteslos-fa...
No. of Recommendations: 0
If there had been a college major in tacos, I'd have shot for a PhD.

Each episode analyzes each taco variety, its origin, and history, and tells you where to get some delicious tacos.

Road Trip to sano's house!! Who else is wants to join me? :-)

Bill
Probably true. I just like the crispiness of them. A contrast to the items within (generally).

But the place I linked does soft, and they are good.

You're makin' me want to cook some. I would do them the way someone once taught me...fill a tortilla with stuff, fold it over, stick a toothpick and deep fry it. Cooks everything, gives a lightly crisp tortilla. I don't think it's truly authentic, but it is good.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Soft or hard?

Yes, please. :-)

Bill

*goes both ways, me
No. of Recommendations: 7
Cooks everything, gives a lightly crisp tortilla.

True confession: I like crispy tacos sometimes.

I bought a 6' length of 1/2" copper tube. Cut 3 pieces that are the exact width of our oven and flattened the ends so they sit flat on the rack support ridges.

I drape corn tortillas on those lightly canola oiled tubes.

400 for a few minutes and you got a half dozen perfectly shaped crisp taco shells ready for filling.
You can pick me up on the way.

AC *luvs tacos*