Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks to all the help from this board, the investing fog is lifting in my head (though I am sure there's many more banks of it ahead... :-).

We've learned a lot about rolling 401(k)s into IRAs, and how that same IRA can be used as a SEP to pour in (ok drip in :-) self employment contributions.

Many recent posts have referred to the fact that adding self-employment contributions to rollover IRAs prevent one from rolling those IRAs back into a (future) 401(k). In conjunction with this, it is usually pointed out that Fools may not much care about this, since they try to manage their own finances - agreed! This is why, after all, we roll these moneys into IRAs in the first place.

I am now trying to get a little bit more deeply into this matter. Are there any other drawbacks to this "tainting" (which I think the IRS calls "commingling")?
For example, does the age at which we can begin withdrawing change? The taxable status of the fund at withdrawal? The penalties for early withdrawal? I am just grasping here - I just want to understand all the implications of commingling, though I am not worried at this point about my inability to roll back into a 401(k) as a result.

Thank you again to those of you that know this stuff. I hope I can repay the favors with technical info on other boards (and of course I do my small part in Foolmart... :-)

BeenFooled
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.