Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I’m not sure this is the correct board to post this. I spend most of my time over on the Champion Funds boards.

My company was recently acquired and is in the process of merging with our acquirers. I’ve got 18 years into my company and an excellent track record of annual reviews and accomplishments. I have sort of risen to a level where my continued employment is highly questionable. A severance package has been mentioned, but none produced so far. The job I was most recently promoted out of has positions that are being filled by much younger personnel (I’m 60). I was not offered an opportunity to move back into that position even though the regions were shuffled and it could have happened if they wanted it to. I will speak to a lawyer about possible age discrimination, but don’t know if it applies in an acquisition/reorganization situation.

My company has no pension program, just a 3% match on 401K. I know they would absolutely not want me working for a competitor. How much leverage do you think I have? Can one take “early retirement” when there is no pension to work with? Can severance packages be worked out for multiple years with a tight non-compete, which I would consider? Otherwise, three months severance is not enough to keep me from going to work with a competitor.

Anybody been down a similar path?

Thanks
Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.