No. of Recommendations: 0
Talk to your IRA custodian. Usually they will do a Roth conversion for you. Either partial or total conversion is possible. They send you a 1099 for the funds converted and you then pay the income taxes. If the amount converted is large, you may need to pay estimated taxes and prepay the tax to avoid penalties for underpayment of estimated taxes.

You may do a conversion in any year you have earned income and do not have income exceeding the upper limits--about $100K. Check the IRS publication on IRAs for details.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.