No. of Recommendations: 5
Talking about the "Magic Number", one thing that has fascinated me is how few things I'm finding of value to spend money on.

For example, I could easily afford a $4,000 Business Class ticket on a 10 hour flight where Economy costs $1,500. But, is that crappy little lie-flat bed in Business Class really worth an extra $2,500 on a 10 hour ride? Maybe it makes more sense to book a $1,000 night room in London to sleep off the affects of the flight and save $1,500 (not that I'd spend $1,000 on a hotel room.)

I might pay an extra $200 for a lie-flat bed, but not $2,500.

intercst

In terms of the actual plane ride - it is never, ever worth it.

I'm nearly 6'4" and have flown across the pond (Atlantic) more times than I can count over the past 28 years. My long legs have never fit in coach/economy, but who cares? I sit there regardless. Can we say "Hello, man spread city!"? 8-10 hours of a transatlantic flight is well worth any discomfort for me compared to paying any extra money in spite of being able to afford upgrades. Even on occasion when they gave me a "free" upgrade, it was seriously not that different. Meh. I could sing an opera the next day in either country no matter what I went through on the plane due to the lack of legroom and difference in food service.

Instead, invest the difference in price over the course of a travel/working career and it is amazing what a few extra inches length/width robs one for returns over decades of returns.

Glad to hear that many companies forbid their employees from flying business or 1st class. Those are the companies I want to invest in as they are watching their expenses.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.