No. of Recommendations: 1
Tamhas opines that ...

Tinker, you know perfectly well that I never said any such set of things. You were pushing the idea that immigrants should want to assimilate. I was countering with the idea that there are legitimate limits to what assimilation should be required. Obviously, someone coming here has to agree to abide by our laws. Hopefully, this is one of the attractions of coming here. And, they have to accept that whatever the current economic climate is is what it is ... doesn't mean that they can't help to change that ... certainly there are plenty of "red blooded" Americans trying to change things.

And this idea that immigrants are sponges on the system is just not born out by any facts. Heck, even illegal immigrants are a new plus on the economy by a good margin. Elon Musk is a sponge on the system????

Yes, we have closed our borders in various ways over the years, but this has almost always been the result of racism, not real issues with the immigrants that we were keeping out.

Your bolded question is a false issue since it assumes a characterization of immigrants which has nothing to do with reality. I suppose that there are refugees who end up here because they have no other place to go rather than for wanting to be here, but you are nuts to think that people go to the trouble, expense, pain, and uncertainty to immigrate just for the purpose of sponging off the system. For starters, you ignore just how awful things are in the places that these people are sometimes coming from. You clearly ignore the large percentage of Asian immigrants who are clearly coming to achieve. Etc., etc. I.e., your characterization is made of false stereotypes which have nothing to do with reality.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.