No. of Recommendations: 2
tango:
As a Catholic, what's your stance on the abortion issue?

MissEdith:

Feel free to comb back through my old posts if you'd like to know. And if you don't like my answers, feel free to turn me in.

The church does not require that I be a single-issue voter vis-à-vis abortion.

Wow, you're pretty touchy.
I don't even know who you are, quite frankly. I don't read this board every day.

Why didn't you just answer the question? In the time it took you to write your three-sentence response, you could have simply answered in ONE sentence, "I am a pro-choice Catholic" or you could have expanded and qualified that one statement with "but only in cases of rape or incent", and had you done that, you would have given me (and maybe others) the benefit of the doubt since I (we) don't know you or what your take on things is since, perhaps contrary to your belief, not everyone here follows you and your posts here so closely as to keep up with what's going on in YOUR little world.

That said, I presume from the dodginess of your response that you are, in fact, an abortion supporter, because if you were not an abortion supporter, you would have simply answered my question with a simple "I don't support abortion."

If you are, in fact, a "Catholic" who supports abortion, how do you respond to the idea that supporting abortion isn't exactly compatible with "taking care of each other, loving one another, etc."?

If you are one of these Catholics who believes that abortion is secondary to other social issues such as, say, gay marriage, then I can understand (although I wouldn't agree with) your decision to support Democrats. However, if -- as you claim -- you and others like you might be voting more against Republicans than for Democrats, that would suggest to me, at least, that you think abortion and gay marriage, etc. are equal issues, in which case, I would then ask you why pick between the lesser of two evils? This is America, after all, and if you can't find someone running for POTUS whose views match your own, you could always write yourself in on the ballet.

???
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.