Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know where I could dive tape strong enough to hold my weight? I'm working on a development on an invention I thought of (and am making) and I need disks of magnetic metal with tape attached that is strong enough to hold around 150 pounds.
Print the post Back To Top
Does anyone know where I could dive tape strong enough to hold my weight?

I dunno about diving, but have you researched the strength of duct tape? It's pretty cheap and durable.

phantomdiver
I don't think I want to know what kind of invention this is!

I second the Duct Tape, though.
No. of Recommendations: 2
How about gaffer tape? It's used in the electrical & lighting communities. Here's some info on it:
http://www.identi-tape.com/gaffer.htm

Or kevlar tape? It's reinforced with Kevlar®, which is a very strong fiber. Do you need an adhesive or non-adhesive tape? How strong must the adhesive be? Do you need a no-residue adhesive? What width tape? How long? Does it need to be flexible? Or stretch at all? All of these might effect your choice of tapes. Could you do anything with fiberglass strips bonded together?

I punched "stronger than duct tape" into Google & a bunch of interesting things popped up. You might want to try that & other such phrases to see if it helps you come up with some more ideas & potential sources.

HTH,

Laura
No. of Recommendations: 1
FYI, NdFeB (Neodymium Iron Boron) magnets are available fairly cheap on Ebay. These magnets are something like 7 times stronger than 'standard' magnets. If you get some be cautious when handling them, as they can crush flesh or break bone if you are unlucky/careless enough to get yourself caught between one and a piece of metal. They can be dang near impossible to detach as well.

-sTan
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you get some be cautious when handling them, as they can crush flesh or break bone if you are unlucky/careless enough to get yourself caught between one and a piece of metal. They can be dang near impossible to detach as well.

Yes: I got 2 today which are about the size of my thumb. They're stuck together right now and I'm not strong enough to pull them apart.