Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 92
...that's the sound of me doing the Snoopy dance...

because as of yesterday, March 31, 2007, I paid my last ever credit card finance charge, and I am now consumer debt-free.

I sat down today and added up how much I actually paid to get these debts erased. It was a little more than the original numbers suggested - aah, the magic of compound interest...

September 30, 3005:
CC debt: $59,000
Auto loan: $34,700

March 31, 2007:
CC debt: $0
Auto loan debt: $0

Amounts actually paid:
CC debt: $66,147.28
Auto loan: $35,368.06
TOTAL PAID in 18 months: $101,515.34

Truth be told, I do not feel very celebratory....I've been trying to figure out why, but I'm still not sure. Maybe because the really big paydowns were done several months ago, so the very end is a bit anticlimactic.

The other reason is that in the process of paying off debt, my outlook and attitude were transformed so that I started regarding it as NORMAL to be without consumer debt, instead of seeing it as the turnaround accomplishment it is. I was in cc debt for almost 4 years before I even STARTED paying it off, so "normal" hasn't been normal for me for very long. But I do intend to keep this mindset forever. I will not ever pay interest on consumer goods again. Period.

I am so immensely grateful to everyone on this board. Thank you for your advice, education, accountability, encouragement, and inspiration. In the 2 years I spent lurking and the 18 months I spent actively posting and paying off debt, I have been consistently amazed by the kindness, honesty, and expertise of the people here. You guys help change lives for the better. What an awesome and rare thing!

Extra-special thank yous to xraymd, aj485, Dr. Booa, Nancy (Windowseat), DeltaOne81, Fuskie, and Debra (vkg) for your incredible funds of knowledge and your willingness to help so many virtual strangers, including me.

I'm starting to sound like an Oscar winner about to be ushered off the stage by the "wrap-it-up" music, but just one more thing: shout-outs to Royinstl who started his debt paydown just before me, and to Shirehobbit who started just after me - thank you for sharing your stories and your progress, it has given me much inspiration. I feel like we're relay runners on the same team. Shire, I pass the baton to you. Go, Hobbit, Go!

FIgirl

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
YAY!!!!!!!

OMG, FIgirl, way to GO! I am so very happy for you! You did it! You did it! You did it!

I will dance all day Monday for you. YAY!!!!!

--Booa
No. of Recommendations: 2
Now THAT ia something worth dancing about!!

Fantastic progress!

I suspect the fun will hit you later, when you're trying to decide what to do with all that lovely extra money.

And please add yourself to the list of helpful posters on the board. Your own words of wisdom, and your own experience have added considerably to the board.

Congratulations.

Welcome to the world of financial freedom.

Nancy

>> September 30, 3005:

Hey there, FIgirl. That's the same exact month I started -- minus a thousand years! *grin*

>> ...that's the sound of me doing the Snoopy dance...

Joining you in the Snoopy dance! *toots horn* We have adorable Peants statues scattered throughout our city (created and later auctioned off for charity).

>> and to Shirehobbit who started just after me - thank you for sharing your stories and your progress, it has given me much inspiration. I feel like we're relay runners on the same team. Shire, I pass the baton to you. Go, Hobbit, Go!

Got it! Thanks! *running at a fast clip*

Shire

Hip hip, hurrah!!! Way to go!

Andrea
No. of Recommendations: 7
Fantastic Job FIgirl,

Over 100K in 18 months, You flat out can FLYgirl. Funny how similar our race was took my about 18 months to kill my 45K of consumer debt. There have been many team members before me Dizchick, Pollywillams, MLK58 and many more. I can see Shirehobbit's baton gleaming in the sun as her snowball is making quick work of her debt. JIM2B is being a bit quite but he is out there running.

I kind of picture AJ and Nancy as relay coaches helping with some of the budget cramping and helping some of the team over the hills, exciting watching SoccerDad get traction that snowball will be massive once it starts crushing a few more cards.

I would not worry about feeling a little anticlimactic, I was told by Dizchick I believe, it that it takes a few months as you manage all the money that use to go to snowball debt, when it accumulate you start to really see the impact of what you have done, and what you have learned that are making your life easier. One of my resent great feelings, is track how fast my old debt repayment snowball increase my investment portfolio, set a new speed record 10K in 74 days, stock market has been a little mean lately so it will take me a bit longer to get to the next 10K but, this next race is a lot of fun. Does not really matter what your investment style is, if you save a good portion of that debt snowball attaining your goals is easier.

Thanks for making my day FIgirl, I got a tear in my eye and Smiling as I grab my Dancing shoes.

~
Roy
No. of Recommendations: 1
<< I am now consumer debt-free. >>

Yippy!

Great work!

I've noticed in that past that finally achieving long-term goals can be a let down. You ran so fast, pushing against a great weight, and suddenly the weight is gone. It's like the silence you hear when a loud noice suddenly stops. Deafening silence.

I'll bet watching the previous snowball grow in savings will bring the joy to the surface.

In the mean time, celibrate! Then sit down and make a new huge goal to carry you forward.

Penny
dancing along with joy for you
Wow lady! How many of your kids did you sell?!

That is totally incredible. DH and I are looking forward to Snoopy Dancing in about 10 more months ourselves! (CC-debt free is scheduled for February 2008).
59,000 in CC debt is a serious achievement.
a 30K Car loan is heavy anchor ...

Getting out from under that is to be applauded -- Reccing your post just isn't enough in the realm of appropriate superlatives.

Shire, I pass the baton to you. Go, Hobbit, Go!

FIgirl

I'll take the next leg of this relay ...

~dswing
I am thrilled to read your inspirational story! :) Many many happy dances!

Andrea
Yea! Good going! Any plans for your new found freedom?

amg2
Thanks everyone for happy dancing with me!

Shire, good catch on the 3005 thing...whoops. Must have been channelling Buck Rogers. So we share a “birthday,” huh? No wonder I so vividly associate your first posts with my starting out.

This is the Amazing Race right here…Shire, dswing, llamaluv, bethdig, determinedmom, SoccerDad, all zooming to the finish line!! I love it.

Roy and NewPenny, thanks for reminding me that the wind might be out of my sails right now but that I'll get a second wind soon. And Roy - 10K in 74 days? Can you smell the burning rubber?!?

Anyways, thanks guys. Now that I've shared my news with you I feel happier about it. Funny how that works.

Fool On!

FIgirl
I have gotten out the pom-poms and megaphone again

2bits4bits6bitsadollar
All for FIgirl
Stand up and holler

...and do a happy dance, too

Molly--whose feet are tippy tapping
Terrific!

~~ Alison
An awesome achievement! Congratulations!
No. of Recommendations: 4
Way to go FIgirl! I believe that this is my first post on this particular forum, but I'm a lurker who has thus far sent out silent positive vibes to those who are battling the CC and other non-secured debt monster. I've been down that road to the tune of around $36,000 of CC hell during the worst times. This was as recent as just 4-5 years ago, and I had no clue such a great forum as this existed. Not sure how my money mindset changed, but I guess one day something clicked in my head, and I realized what a dummy I was.

Anyways, this is great news regarding your situation. Now don't be a dummy like me and pay it all off and then within 1-2 years charge it all back up again! Believe it or not, I did this not once but twice before I became sensible with my financial life.
Simply amazing!!!

What do you do for a living that brought in so much income?