Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
"The out-of-state tax credit, or credit for taxes paid to another state, may be allowed in cases where a Virginia resident is taxed on certain types of income received in another state, as a nonresident of that state. The credit applies only to income taxes paid to another state, and may not be claimed for income taxes paid to Arizona, California, Oregon, or the District of Columbia. "

This is true for California also. I'm trying to find out WHY though. Why does California allow for a tax credit for state tax paid to other states, but NOT for Oregon?

So if someone lives in California but makes income in Oregon from a house rental, what are they supposed to do?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.