Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I invested in a LLC about 5 years ago. It looked ok in the beginning, but during the last two years I've gotten a series of "bad news" letters, the most recent of which says the company has no more money and will not pursue any further business or asset sales. And it does not even have enough money to produce K-1's for Y2000.

So basically I've lost my entire investment. I have the share certificate, and all documentation, including prior K-1's. Do I need anything else with which to write this off as a tax loss? Does this go on Schedule D, i.e. Purchase price $XXX and sale price $0? If not that form, then which one?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.