Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Last year, as an officer in a 501c3 organization, I had to attend a meeting out of town. My godfather, an accountant, sent me some IRS publications that indicated that I could deduct this under certain conditions.

I'm an officer again - in fact, I hold two positions within the organization. One is elected, and one is appointed by an elected official and confirmed by the organization's Board of Directors. As such, I will have a number of expenses, some large and some small.

I don't want to get audited and hauled into Tax Court, but I don't want to miss out on legitimate deductions that will save me money. I'd like to know if there are any publications explaining what can and can't be deducted. Has anyone written up case studies of what is/is not allowed, or a detailed guide of some kind?

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.