Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My wife and I own a house and have no children. We both work full time.

I'm trying to find new ways to reduce my tax liability.

Currently, I contribute almost the max allowed to my 401(k) (enough to get the company match). I have the mortgage interest and property tax deductions as well.

According to my handy TMF Tax Guide (I get so much out of this web site I figured I would throw in a plug for the new tax guide ;-)) I can't contribute to a tradtional IRA and take the deduction. A Roth IRA doesn't save me any taxes *now*.

Are there any tax shelters/deductions that Fools use and I haven't mentioned? Yeah, yeah, we could have kids but I have my mother to remind me of that ;-)

One step I have taken is to get out of mutual funds in my non-IRA account (I have no choice in the IRA account) to avoid capital gains distributions. I think many folks will be rather upset when their mutual funds drop in value this year *and* they get hit with extra taxes due to a distribution. OUCH!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.