Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I’m married, in my mid 30’s, working for the Federal Government and lucky enough to be in a position to try and maximize my pension / tax advantaged investments.

The first part is the Federal Defined Benefit Plan FERS. As I understand it FERS is a defined benefit plan that pays out ~ 1% of the average of my high 3 salary. The downside is if I leave the Federal Government before retirement it isn’t adjusted for inflation until I hit retirement age.

The next part is the TSP (Gov version of a 401K). I’m putting the max in at $16500 and the Government provides a 5% match. I have my money invested in a lifestyle plan based on my expected retirement date.

My wife works full time looking after both our children? and teaches 1 class per term at a community college. She earns $2000 - $3000 per year which she puts into a 403B again in a lifestyle fund based on her expected retirement date.

We both contribute to ROTH IRAs putting in the max each year at $5000 each.

We have 4 x 529 plans opened – one from each of us to each child to maximize the state deduction for the 529.

We have a mortgage with 13 years left @ 5.125%. I recently ran the numbers and it didn’t make sense to refinance.

We have an emergency fund at an online bank with about 6 months salary that earning peanuts and our own personal checking / savings accounts with some small sums – also earning peanuts.

I guess my question is, is there anything I should be doing different and what the next step for investments (putting more money into a savings account doesn’t seem like a good idea)?

I have an appointment to see a financial planner but wanted to get a broader opinion.

Thanks for your responses
Jonathan
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.