Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Well, I have a question but first I will provide
some background information.

My parents bought me a car back in '95 while I
was in college. The car is currently registered
to my mother. Since that time I have made
irregular payments to them for the car. They are now
signing the title over to me.

How do I figure out the taxes I will have to pay? If any?

Do I need to prove that I have 'paid' for the car?
If so, how? (all the payments were different and at different times)

Anything I can do to reduce the taxes I will have to pay?

Any info you can provide that I might not have
considered would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks a lot!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.