Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am an expat living in China. My income is not so high that I pay US income taxes. Currently I am sitting on a reasonable return on a stock (JACK) that I am considering selling but am trying to figure out the implications for me.

I have held this stock about 11 months. My research turned up that short term cap gains are taxed with the normal rate for your income. Since I pay no income tax does that mean a sale of this stock now (before it becomes long term cap gains) would also not be taxed (assuming the income from it does not push my total earned income over the threshold for paying US income taxes)?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.