No. of Recommendations: 0
I converted my ~$5,000 trad. IRA into a Roth (as well as opening a contributory Roth) this year. Until two years ago, I was married and left all of the financial details to my then-husband (I have since become much more Foolish). I do not know if my IRA contributions were deducted from our income taxes for those years when we were married or not. My question is, to make a long story short (too late!), where can I find out if those contributions several years ago were deducted? Whether or not they were impacts how much money in taxes I pay for the next 4 years re. the Roth conversion. I really don't want to have to contact my ex-husband to find this out and I don't have copies of the returns we filed jointly. Thank you & sorry for so long a question.
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings, Kecpa, and welcome.

<<I converted my ~$5,000 trad. IRA into a Roth (as well as opening a contributory Roth) this year. Until two years ago, I was married and left all of the financial details to my then-husband (I have since become much more Foolish). I do not know if my IRA contributions were deducted from our income taxes for those years when we were married or not. My question is, to make a long story short (too late!), where can I find out if those contributions several years ago were deducted? Whether or not they were impacts how much money in taxes I pay for the next 4 years re. the Roth conversion. I really don't want to have to contact my ex-husband to find this out and I don't have copies of the returns we filed jointly. Thank you & sorry for so long a question.>>

Short of asking your "ex" for a copy of the returns in question, the only other route is to ask the IRS for a copy. Use Form 4506, Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form, from your local IRS district office, or call toll-free 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM). You will be charged a fee, which you must pay when you submit Form 4506. Alternatively, get a copy of the form at: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/forms_pubs/index.html .

Regards….Pixy
<My question is, to make a long story short (too late!), where can I find out if those contributions several years ago were deducted? Whether or not they were impacts how much money in taxes I pay for the next 4 years re. the Roth conversion. I really don't want to have to contact my ex-husband to find this out and I don't have copies of the returns we filed jointly.>

It may be that the IRS will provide you a copy of your own return if you know your social security number. They might want your ex'x social security number too, but it is probably worth a call to them to find out. They are probably not as busy now as they were a months ago.
In some cases it's easy to tell without having the old income tax returns. If you know what your income level was and whether you or your then husband participated in an employer retirement plan, you may be able to determine that you didn't qualify for the deduction. And if you can determine that you did qualify for the deduction, it's a pretty safe bet (though not ironclad) that you claimed it.

I'd be inclined to get the returns from the IRS in accordance with Pixy's information, though. Not only is that the safer way to determine this information, but you should have copies in any case for your records. And if you didn't look them over closely when you signed them, they might provide interesting reading . . .

KAT in Chicagoland
http://www.fairmark.com
Tax Guide for Investors
Includes a complete guide to Roth IRAs
>My question is, to make a long story
> short (too late!), where can I find out if those >contributions several years ago were deducted?
> Whether or not they were impacts how much money in >taxes I pay for the next 4 years re. the Roth
> conversion. I really don't want to have to contact my >ex-husband to find this out and I don't have
> copies of the returns we filed jointly. Thank you & >sorry for so long a question.

You can obtain copies of your old returns from the IRS. Last I heard the fee was $14, but I'm not sure of it, and it may have gone up.
Recently there was a bulletin from the IRS indicating that although copies are available for a fee, you can get a free computer data dump. It is not a photo copy of your return but rather a computer listing of your line by line entries as recorded by the IRS. Something like a 1040PC. Unfortunately I don't have any more info at my finger tips, but I suspect that whoever sells copies can direct you to the computer print out. I don't know how far back it goes either.

Joe Varga