Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
For the last two years I have made contributions to a traditional IRA but was not eligible for the tax deduction. Next year our household will see an income increase (my wife id returning to work) and I am considering converting my traditional account to a Roth before year end. My TD Ameritrade rep told me that he thinks I will have to pay tax on the amount rolled despite having paid the tax once already. I seem to recall being told otherwise last year when I inquired about this -- that the amount was recorded as a post tax contribution and therefore would convert without an additional tax liability.

Anyone know for sure?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.