Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If one is in the lower two tax brackets, I believe that the tax rate on Long Term Capital Gains is 0%.

However, if the filer hasn't reached the point where 85% of his Social Security is taxed as ordinary income, won't the LTCGs then increase the amount of SS that is taxed?

This would effectively cause the LTCG to be taxed at the ordinary income rate to the point that 85% of the flier's SS has been taxed.

This doesn't seem fair. Am I missing something?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 10
If taxes were fair hedge fund managers would pay ordinary income tax rates instead of getting the carried-interest break.

But you are correct, until you hit the 85% top on SS, your long term capital gains are taxed indirectly because they make more SS taxable. But the capital gains aren't taxed themselves if you are in the lowest two tax brackets. Now if you had additional income from interest, wages, etc. you would pay tax on both that income and more of your SS.

Running an example through the spreadsheet I use for estimating my taxes I get this result. Add $1000 LTCG and my tax goes up $128. Alternatively, add $1000 interest income and my tax goes up $278. I prefer the LTCG.

Since you mentioned fairness, consider that the income limits orginally set when SS benefits became taxable were intended to tax only those with high incomes other than SS. Because Congress didn't index those limits, and has never revised them, almost everyone with enough income to survive in retirement now pays tax on their SS benefits. Most everyone knows this isn't fair but Congress will never fix it because they don't want to give up the tax revenue. Or at least not the tax revenue from middle income taxpayers. Some in Congress have no problem giving big tax breaks to the wealthy who fund their campaigns.
Thanks Bill.

I think all that I was looking for was confirmation that my homemade estimated taxes spreadsheet was correct. I thought that CG was added to "ordinary income" as part of the tax on 85% of SS.

Really almost sorry for the "not fair" comment as taxes have very little to do with fairness. But then I am glad that I have enough additional income to require paying taxes on SS. Otherwise I'd have a tough time getting by!

Thanks again for the reply.
But then I am glad that I have enough additional income to require paying taxes on SS. Otherwise I'd have a tough time getting by!

Or you would be pulling your funds from Roth IRAs, which are not taxed.

IP,
looking to control our taxable income to give enough leeway to max out on Roth conversions, minimize RMDs and taxes