Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If I were to receive this year, a sudden windfall of 2 Million, would I be required to pay Uncle Sam his share immediately or can I wait a year (April 2003) when this year's taxes are due?

I pay Qtrly estimated taxes and it has always been my understanding that as long as I paid at least the amount I paid in taxes the year before, that is all I am required to pay during the next year and the rest can be made up (if I owed more) when the taxes come due in April the following year? Is that correct?

If so, it would make the most sense to me to invest the tax portion and generate income from it until it actually came due?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.