Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to figure out how to plan for taxes in 2009.

Currently, we are a single-income family (me working, DH in school).
We are expecting a baby in 2009 (I should be receiving most of my income as SSD during maternity leave, after which I will return to my current job, assuming it still exists, given current market conditions.)
DH will be graduating in May and will likely be trying to pick up freelance gigs for the remainder of the year.

Should I go ahead and claim allowances for him as well as the child on the W-4 for now for 2009? If so, how should we handle any income he does bring in for 2009 to make sure we don't underpay taxes -- I'm assuming he'll probably be freelancing, so we'll need to figure out this self employment thing -- any references would be appreciated as well.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.