Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So, I had a less than pleasant experience with my tax preparer this year. He had a resume that was impressive, MBA and a Juris Doctor from a couple of decent universities. He practices tax law, I looked him up on the state bar website and he does taxes focusing on people in my field of work (which he also works within, the law practice seems to be a side gig). So I go into this thinking my taxes will be done quickly and correctly. On the 8th draft they were finally correct. Error after error kept rolling in on each draft; no 8606 for a IRA to Roth conversion, adding the conversion as taxable income, not filling out deductions I sent records for, the list goes on. I went through each draft with a fine toothed comb and I just kept finding things that looked incorrect. I would go do my due diligence and reply with my concerns. He would change the mistake and send the next draft and on and on. A real flag was raised when he said he'd never done a IRA conversion before, so didn't know the forms involved (google it?).

So my lessons learned;

1- A resume and a law degree doesn't mean the person is well versed in personal taxes
2- Do your due dilegence

My questions

1-What exactly is required to get a PTIN? A quick course from H&R Block or an online course? I'm assuming this guy got his because he practices tax law.
2-What liability does the individual preparing the tax bear? Does he have to defend my return before the IRS should they ask?
3-Are there varying levels of who can sign for taxes, be it an EA or CPA and does one or the other have a particular greater burden when preparing taxes?

Thanks for any info!

Patrick
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.