Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Just curious as to how your accountant conducts your meetings.

DBF went to H and R block last year and he told me they entered his information directly into a computer. His was a simple 1040ez and it took 20 minutes. He efiled and had his refund in a week or two.
The accountant I've been seeing for the past two years also types in my information onto a computer at the time of our meeting. It takes roughly 1.5 hours. A large part of that time was watching him plug numbers into his computer since he can't talk and work at the same time. A long visit, but at the end I had a rough idea of how much I owed. The final and preliminary numbers were never exactly the same, but in the same ball park.
I switched accountants this year. We met this last weekend and we talked over a pad of paper and pencil. It was a much more fluent conversation. I gave him my information with a short description. I asked questions, he asked questions. And I was outta there in about 35 minutes. Of course, I don't know what my bottom line is just yet. A minor nuisance I think compared to the time saved.

So which is more efficient, crunching the numbers during the meeting or aftter?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.