Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I plan to have an accountant do my taxes. BUT, for reasons that it would take a whole separate post to explain, I am missing a lot of the items that I would ordinarily have. For example, I am missing (1) information from two banks concerning the amount of interest I have earned there, (2) the document I had earlier received from work confirming that I had a health insurance plan there such that I did not need to sign up for ObamaCare, (3) the end-of-year statement from the SSA concerning how much money DW was sent during 2019, and (4) I have no documents regarding property tax, automobile registration, etc.

This is a shocking list, I know, and I will have to talk ASAP about it with the accountant, but, are some of these cases in which I need THE ACTUAL DOCUMENTS, while others I just need accurate numbers? For example, W/R/T DW's SS income, I have the letter from them that they sent at the beginning of 2019, stating what her monthly amount would be, and (since there were no changes in that amount, and none of the money was withheld for tax purposes, I can easily reconstruct her annual SS income, but other items are not so easy to reconstruct...

Any suggestions???

TIA

culcha
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.