Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings fellow fools,

My wife worked as an independent contractor for a company last year. The company did not get her SS# and treated her poorly to the point where the relationship was terminated after approx. $2000 was paid to my wife. Now the company wants my wife's SS# so they can report her earnings in their taxes.

The problem is, we've already filed our taxes for the year. If my wife complies with them we will take a hit on our tax bill.

Is my wife legally obligated to provide that information to the company?

Thank you,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.