Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
This is probably a question you might have answered a billion times but I don't come to this board often. I just called the IRS, finally got a live human being after about 20 minutes who transferred me to someone who could help with foreign earned income, and then I was cut off. So I decided to ask a question here.

My daughter just started teaching in Vietnam this month. The rest of the year (since January 1, 2013) she was teaching and living in Panama. She was just home here in the US for a visit of 31 days which should put her in the 330 day category: "A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months."

I guess that money is foreign earned income as far as the IRS is concerned (I am just learning about this stuff).
My question: can she put money from Vietnam into an IRA that she established in this country? She has money in a checking account in this country that she deposited from earned income from Panama. Can any of that be deposited into an IRA?

What are her options?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.