Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My son still working on his income tax. He seems can't get a W-2 form from his employer (he is a college student and only worked about 32 hours in 2013), can he file income tax without this information?

Is it possible to get a refund even though he has some income and not have much deduction? So far he will get some refund and I am wondering is it possible (not paying income tax, but get refund) or he must does something wrong in the income tax return? Cathy
Print the post Back To Top
My son still working on his income tax. He seems can't get a W-2 form from his employer (he is a college student and only worked about 32 hours in 2013), can he file income tax without this information?

Is it possible to get a refund even though he has some income and not have much deduction? So far he will get some refund and I am wondering is it possible (not paying income tax, but get refund) or he must does something wrong in the income tax return? Cathy

He can file without the information, but he will get a letter from the IRS anywhere from 6 to 18 months from now asking why he didn't report the income.

It is possible to get a tax refund without having income because there are a number of refundable credits. Whether he qualifies for those credits depends on the facts of his situation.

You don't mention his age, but he could still be your dependent which could affect how he completes his tax return.

Ira
Did his paycheck contain all of the necessary information for FICA and withholding?