No. of Recommendations: 0
Tax rates and other debt also matter -
If you have a car loan, credit card debit, or almost any other debt (besides a mortgage) you are probably better off paying off the other debt.

If you no longer qualify for the student loan interest deduction, and you can get one of the retirement savings credits, you might be better off putting the money into a Roth or traditional IRA, claiming the credit and using any extra in your tax refund to pay down the loans.

If it were me, and I was getting enough to pay off one of the loans, I would probably tend to do that, unless I could substantially change my tax situations.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.