Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

Non-resident aliens do not receive tax rebate checks. Do we still get to benefit from the 10% tax bracket when we fill 1040NR, or is that bracket lost for 2001?

Thanks,
YN
Print the post Back To Top
You'll get taxed at the reduced rate when you file your 2001 return. They just didn't give non residents the advance refund just in case you don't have to file for this year.
acm4tax,
Thank you very much. That's pretty much what I thought, but I couldn't find any "official" reference to this on the irs's website.

A quick follow-up: assuming that I file as a single and earn more than $6000, will I have the full 10% bracket? Or will the fact that this became law on 7/1/00 mean that I only have half of the bracket?

Thanks,
YN
A quick follow-up: assuming that I file as a single and earn more than $6000, will I have the full 10% bracket? Or will the fact that this became law on 7/1/00 mean that I only have half of the bracket?

The 10% bracket is retroactive to the first of the year, and that's where the $300 comes from. A 15% rate on $6000 is $900, and a 10% rate is $600. The $300 difference is the rebate.