Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am looking for a tax sheltered or tax minimizing approach to investing in stocks for my kids education. I want the assets in my name, which rules out Education IRA's (2 reasons - 1. At age 18, the foolish ones could decide they would rather have the car.... and 2. The FAF penalizes kids assets much higher than parents assets when determing any eligibility.)My wife and I max out our IRA's every year, and would like to put aside additional funds for the education.

Looked at VUL's, but the freight seems real, real steep, in spite of the "after tax numbers" workup.

Right now, have the money in Index 500's, low annual capital gains since they don't churn, etc. Is there another more sophisticated approach that I can implement relatively inexpensively that helps me avoid taxes, particularly at that point in the future when I start redeeming shares and paying on gains?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.