Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am looking to start a regular investment scheme for retirement. I already do the Fool 4 and UG5 (yes I lost on COMS) but in a regular account. Since I earn my salary in yen and it's under $70k, I am currently claiming the foreign earned income exemption, but that is ALL of my earned income; according to my tax accountant this leaves me ineligible for not only deductible IRA contributions but non-deductible ones as well.

So. I'm 26 and I'm looking for some tax-deferred alternative to IRAs. Because of my contract-employee status at my company, I am not eligible for their retirement program (wouldn't want a bunch of 1.5% money-markets anyway). Are my alternatives limited to things like municipal bonds and other mild-return stuff? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.