Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If anyone could help me with this unique tax situation, that would be great!

I am a nonresident alien, attending a private graduate school in the U.S. The school provides full tuition funding and a stipend to cover one's living expenses. We aren't required to do extra work (like teaching assistantships) to ge the stipend, it is automatic with admission.

So, at the end of every month, I get a check for the stipend. No taxes, medicare, anything are taken out of it (except for a student activity and parking fee). The school for some reason does not report this to the IRS via some legal loophole. Therefore, we get no W-2 for tax purposes.

I'm a full-time student and take in no other income. On the 1040NR (non resident) tax form, there is a unique line where it asks how much was received in scholarships and fellowships. I have no choice but to report. Many of my US classmates, however, do not such line on the regular 1040.

I believe that the stipend is fully taxable, but we all debate this. Anyone know for sure?

Should I be paying my taxes out over the year or will I be penalized if I pay one "lump sum" in April (ouch!).

Thanks in advance!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.