Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I've done my own taxes for many years now, just buying TaxCut and either electronically submitting my taxes or printing off the forms and sending in to save a few bucks. I've always worked for an employer, so taxes have been pretty straightforward.

Same will be the case for me this year, but had a question if I were to helping a friend(s) do their taxes using my software. Does the TaxCut software allow you to do your own Fed & state taxes on one saved file, while creating a new file for someone else?

In this case, my friends (couple that got married this year, will be filing jointly) each have jobs. He is employed, while she is also employed but also self-employed on the side, as she is a speech therapist. Their income isn't huge at all. Could I just get the TaxCut Home & Business Federal and State edition, which would allow me to do my own taxes (fed & state) as well as work with them to do all their returns? Or must we purchase separate software (Fed/State for me, Home/Business Fed/state for them)?

One additional tidbit .. they live in Florida, where I believe there is no state income tax. Would that mean they'd only have to file their federal taxes?

Thx
eurobask
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.