Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
At least now when I do a search on the IRS site I get a message showing they have received it and it is currently being processed. Ideally I'll get the refund prior to moving (if that happens) since I don't want to have to deal with any issues of it not getting forwarded, etc.

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

And yeah, electronic filing would have been better. This was mailed back in March.

Rich
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
And yeah, electronic filing would have been better. This was mailed back in March.

It wouldn't have made any difference if you had efiled back in March. I efiled DS's taxes on March 16, and it still says they are in process with no date given for his refund. They do have a message about paper returns, but nothing about efiling. Eventually, I may tell him to call and inquire, but I can see that they have them, so I guess his refund will show up at some point.

I'd love to know if others who efiled back in March are also still waiting. We were right on the edge of the shutdown.
Eventually, I may tell him to call and inquire, but I can see that they have them, so I guess his refund will show up at some point.

They are supposed to be paying interest :

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-statement-on-interest-payme...
Hi, I paper filed late Feb. to mid March ?, with refund to be electronic deposit, but when I check on status the response is always no information available.
My tax return was electronically filed in late March or Early April. I received a refund check by mail with interest in early June.

Htownrich
Hi, I paper filed late Feb. to mid March ?, with refund to be electronic deposit, but when I check on status the response is always no information available.

Do you have any proof that the IRS received your filing? I'm guessing not, since you aren't even sure of the date that you filed.

If this notice:

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns

We continue to process electronic and paper tax returns, issue refunds, and accept payments. We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

disappears from this page: https://www.irs.gov/refunds and they still haven't posted anything about processing your return, then you probably need to call them, and find out what to do if it's possible your return was lost. Until then, you will just have to keep checking.

AJ

Do you have any proof that the IRS received your filing? I'm guessing not, since you aren't even sure of the date that you filed.

If this notice:

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns

We continue to process electronic and paper tax returns, issue refunds, and accept payments. We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

disappears from this page: https://www.irs.gov/refunds and they still haven't posted anything about processing your return, then you probably need to call them, and find out what to do if it's possible your return was lost. Until then, you will just have to keep checking.

AJ

Hi AJ, I've tried every dat from late Feb thru Mar. 18 to no avail, so I guess I'll have to call. Thanks
I wouldn't worry about the no info message. That is what I was seeing until this weekend. I didn't check often but just happened to look this weekend. Patience is the best path for now.
I've tried every dat from late Feb thru Mar. 18 to no avail, so I guess I'll have to call.

First of all, if you mailed it, say, March 15, it's quite possible that they wouldn't have received it until, say March 22. So checking dates until March 18 probably isn't adequate, if you don't know when you actually mailed it.

Second - if you are due a refund, you don't need to have a date to check if your return is being processed. All you need is your SSN, your filing status and the amount of the refund that you're due. Presuming you kept a copy of your return (which you always should), you should be able to get that information. Then just use the "Check my Refund Status" link on the page that I gave you earlier. Here it is again: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Again - until the message about 'still processing paper returns' disappears from that page, and you still don't have any confirmation that your return is being processed, DO NOT call. They won't be able to help you, and will just tell you to wait until they've gotten through the backlog. When they get through the backlog, they'll pull the message about 'still processing paper returns' down.

AJ
I've tried every dat from late Feb thru Mar. 18 to no avail, so I guess I'll have to call.

First of all, if you mailed it, say, March 15, it's quite possible that they wouldn't have received it until, say March 22. So checking dates until March 18 probably isn't adequate, if you don't know when you actually mailed it.

Second - if you are due a refund, you don't need to have a date to check if your return is being processed. All you need is your SSN, your filing status and the amount of the refund that you're due. Presuming you kept a copy of your return (which you always should), you should be able to get that information. Then just use the "Check my Refund Status" link on the page that I gave you earlier. Here it is again: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Again - until the message about 'still processing paper returns' disappears from that page, and you still don't have any confirmation that your return is being processed, DO NOT call. They won't be able to help you, and will just tell you to wait until they've gotten through the backlog. When they get through the backlog, they'll pull the message about 'still processing paper returns' down.

Hi AJ, i'm sure I mailed by the 10th thats why I used the 18th as an end date.I am due a refund, And yes I of course have a copy just didn't date it since I scribble it all down as a first draft. At any rate I'll just keep checking. Thanks for the help.
I efiled just a couple of days before the July 15 deadline. Last week I received in the mail a notice that they weren't satisfied that I was not someone pretending to be me. I haven't followed up on it yet. I'm due a refund of several hundred. My state (CT) refund arrived about a week before that notice.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Anyone who sees that their return is "still processing" or who filed a paper return mid-March or later and can't see any information in the IRS system should sit tight and wait.

The "in process" returns were probably flagged by the computers for having one of the due-diligence credits (EIC, child, education, HoH status), for tripping one of the anti-fraud screens (note that this does not imply that there is anything fraudulent about the return, just that there was some combination of data points that commonly turns up on fraudulent returns) or there was a data mismatch between your return and the data the IRS already had on file from third party sources. All of these flags need to be reviewed by humans before the refund is cleared for payment. The IRS shut down in mid-March and is still not fully operational, so everything is backed up.

Paper returns have been stored in trailer trucks at the IRS processing centers. The IRS announced in mid-June that they had more than 11 million pieces of unopened mail to process and typically receive around 1 million new pieces of mail each week. Again, with the IRS processing centers not operating at 100% capacity due to the pandemic, it will take quite some time to work through the backlog.

It's possible, though highly unlikely, that the IRS phone agents may have information on the current status of operations at the processing centers. It's information that the professional organizations have been asking the IRS to provide so that we (the tax professionals) don't submit multiple requests for things like POA authorizations.

Ira
The IRS announced in mid-June that they had more than 11 million pieces of unopened mail to process and typically receive around 1 million new pieces of mail each week.

They had no issues "processing" the check I sent in with a payment voucher. ;)

Mailed 7/14 and the check cleared my bank on 7/20. Priorities...

Pretty much the same for me and my state cashed it even faster.
No. of Recommendations: 2

Checks and vouchers do not go directly to the IRS. The address may say it's the IRS, but it's actually a bank operated lockbox, similar to your credit card payments. If you look at the PO Box addresses, none of them are in the four cities where the IRS maintains a tax return processing campus. The bank separates the returns from the checks, deposits the check, and forwards the return to one of the processing campuses. While I don't know for sure, I would expect most of this process is highly automated.

Ira
Checks and vouchers do not go directly to the IRS.

I think this is correct: way to slick for the IRS to process that quickly.

I paid my taxes at the 'traditional' time in April and the payment was processed within a day or two. My next door neighbor had a refund and filed in mid February and just got his check last week.

Pete

I can't say the same. I mailed Form 1041-V with a check due for my wife's estate income taxes on 26 June. It still hasn't cleared the estate's checking account.

On the same day I mailed Form 3843 with a check to the Franchise Tax Board for the state income taxes owed on my wife's estate. It cleared the estate's checking account on 02 July.

I can't say the same. I mailed Form 1041-V with a check due for my wife's estate income taxes on 26 June. It still hasn't cleared the estate's checking account.

And there's the proof. Vouchers and payments for fiduciary returns (Form 1041) are sent to the IRS directly. Your check is probably still in a trailer in Kansas City or Ogden. The IRS is working through the mail backlog in the order received.

Ira
And there's the proof. Vouchers and payments for fiduciary returns (Form 1041) are sent to the IRS directly. Your check is probably still in a trailer in Kansas City or Ogden.

Form 1041-V and the check were mailed to Ogden.

The Form 1041 was filed electronically by my CPA and she reported that the IRS confirmed that it was received on 29 June. When I called the IRS to find out why the check hadn't been deposited, the IRS representative said I should check again in two weeks as the estate's return was only received on 29 July.

The IRS is definitely screwed up this year.
Form 1041-V and the check were mailed to Ogden.

Ogden is the IRS processing center. Your check and voucher are sitting among Ogden's share of the 11 million pieces of mail the IRS received by mid-June.

No screw-up, just COVID shutdown issues.

Ira
I just re-read your post and realized your "screwed-up" comment may have referred to the differing dates for your e-file submission and the IRS's "received" date.

There could be a few other explanations other than "screwed-up". The obvious one is that the agent you spoke with read the date wrong. Other possible explanations have to do with the antiquated computer systems the IRS uses. Almost everything is processed in batches and batch processing dates don't necessarily correspond to reality. How the IRS reconciles these dates with statutory deadlines is beyond me, but they seem to be able to do it.

At the same time, other IRS computer systems work in the future. One of my client's accounts show notices sent on August 10 and August 17 of this year. My client thinks I'm clairvoyant when I tell him to expect to receive letters this weekend and next. (Note that IRS letters typically arrive a day or two BEFORE the date on the letter.

Ira
Just noticed that my federal return was deposited in my bank account. I think it was mailed sometime in late March.