Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I used an accountant for a few years because of rental properties and hoping for some guidance along the way. I took back doing my taxes last year after I found an error that would have cost me $500.

So here's the heads up I wish I'd had(and please don't post how "lucky" I am to have the situation). My 2017 tax return* will determine the cost of Medicare when I qualify later this year. I am posting this for a friend who may have similar choices to make. In my case, how much I worked in 2017 and selling a rental property will likely make my cost for Medicare higher at least to begin with. I consider my current health insurance costs insane and had hopes for something lower at 65.

Between the cost of Medicare & gap & forced drug insurance, it may not happen. I have also worked at health and yes, some of that is luck but hitting the rowing machine in a few helps that "luck."

(not a fan of the word "deserve", either ;)

*so add 63 to the spreadsheet for when to review things carefully. At least it would have been 63 for me.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.