No. of Recommendations: 2
Taxes are my largest single expense. More than my mortgage and food combined. In fact, just what I pay in taxes to the wonderful state of Maryland is about the amount of my mortgage.

Then I read the column by that idiot who decided to stop funding her 401K and just "invest in the now" or something like that. I wonder what I will have to pay for her lack of sense, first not to trade intelligently, and second to stop her contributions.

Then there were those articles about people who just did not open their 401K quarterly statements because they were "too depressing." Didn't it ever occur to those people that they should pay more attention, not less?

And on NPR a couple of days ago, somebody was saying that to avoid people dying of the heat, the government was supposed to give them air conditioners, and to make sure that their electric bills were paid. Since I grew up in Houston without air conditioning, I have little sympathy. My great-grandparents lived into their '80s without air conditioning.

It is very frustrating to think of the things I am currently funding, and will fund in the future.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.