Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
i am considering applying for permenent residency status through my wife (an american citizen). we are wanting to move to the US, however, i am planning on continuing to work for a non-american company located outside the US. this means while our main residency will be in the US, i will need to spend a good portion of the year abroad.

my question is: how does this effect our tax situation?
if i am employed by a non-american company located outside the US but my official residency is IN THE US, to which country do I pay tax (the US or the country i am working in and get paid by)?

and, to which country am i responsible for paying tax on stocks sold?

thanks for your help!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.