Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
After about eight years of progressing dementia, my mother-in-law died last month. Fortunately, she had enough assets, plus a daughter nearby, to ensure high-quality care. We had assumed that her care would substantially deplete those assets, but apparently it did not. I am working to sort out our tax situation for 2020. Following is what I think I understand:

* The inheritance is mostly individual stocks in taxable accounts, which are being transferred to DH in-kind with the stepped-up basis recorded as of the date of death. This part is straight-forward tax-wise.

* A small portion will be a traditional IRA which is being transferred to an inherited IRA for DH -- he has 10 years to fully deplete this account, with no required distributions during that time. This cannot be converted to a Roth IRA and we will be taxed on all distributions.

* DH and his sister are planning to use a portion of the inheritance to set up an endowed scholarship fund at Univ of Nebraska. For 2020 only, we can itemize this and other charitable contributions up to 100% of our adjusted gross income (AGI).

* We are planning to increase our traditional-to-Roth conversion for 2020 to increase our AGI and maximize the tax benefit of these charitable contributions. This is the part I really do not want to mess up.

Is this correct? Am I overlooking anything?

Thanks.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.