Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The following information, found in the article by Roy Lewis, "The New Roth IRA - Part II" appears to be wrong:

2. The special tax break (in 1998) is that the income that must be reported based on the IRA rollover MUST be spread evenly over a four-year period. Note that it is the INCOME that must be spread over the four tax year
period… and NOT the tax itself. Please also note that this spread of income MUST take place… it is NOT an election.

I plan to convert my IRA's to Roths in 1998 but want to apply all the resulting income to my 1998 income for tax purposes. The IRS and at least one fund company told me that I can do this. Any comment?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.